Saturday, August 8, 2009

"And that's why wicca is more popular..."


Looking at the chatbox, I'm kinda reminded a conversation I had with Wolfy years ago about the difference between Wicca and ceremonial/hermetic-style magic.

It started because Wolfy mentioned that one of the guys who was playing Vampire: The Masquerade had a great interest in ceremonial magic. At that time, I remembered him remarking that ceremonial and hermetic style magic didn't get many followers because the system does seem to require the practitioner to:

1. read a lot
2. know a lot of complicated symbols
3. know a lot of complicated chants
4. understand a whole stew of rules, dos and don'ts

in short... it is something that requires study... and it feels a lot like work.

Wicca on the other hand, according to Wolfy at least, was a lot more open-ended and didn't require as much study or preparation or "work" to do spells... I guess he meant that there was a lot more eclectic practice going on in Wicca... so it appears to be a lot more flexible...

I think that no matter what system one employs to cast spells, an equal amount of effort is needed... I guess some systems just look easier than others to master.

I suppose in this age of quick results and instant gratification, hour-long chants and a lot of elaborate handwaving and posturing does not really attract the young crowd....:P

Also there are a lot more films and dramas with wicca as a theme rather than hermetic magic... I'm reminded of numerous "charmed"-style spin-offs. Also it is a lot easier to write a story about teens and wicca... which might explain all those teen witchy flicks. I suppose hollywood loves its teen flicks and stars, there is a distinct bias towards youth in tinseltown... it also probably makes a less attractive movie with older people in it....:P

ALTHOUGH... in terms of elaborate settings and costumes, it think one would find it in greater abundance in ceremonial magic rather than wicca. I mean, where on earth can you find a greek or victorian style building dedicated to the occult than in the world of ceremonial magic and lodges?

I guess, the only way I'm ever going to see a story about ceremonial magic on the big screen is if Dan Brown decides to write a book about it. However, he seems to be more interested in the Catholic church ... haiz. :P

No comments: