Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I think I must be crazy.....

About two weeks ago, I posted up about how a senior student at my swordfighting school was undergoing a trial for promotion to a new grade. The post can be seen here.

Well, I kinda thought that the student in question, whom I'll refer to from this point from as CH, was going to get challenged by some of the senior students in the school. So that means, I can get to see them in action....

Well, silly me. 

As it turned out, every single active student who attended the class on Sunday has to fight CH. :P And unfortunately, dammit, that also means moi. The thing is, everyone gets in line and challenges him to unarmed combat, with daggers and finally with the longsword...

I mean..... as a student who is only a month old, I dunno nuts about .... anything.... aaaaaaa!

But, I reckon in these kinda situations, it is a huge faux pas to say "no" to fighting the main man.Well, so I just went ahead with it... I mean, what's the worse that can happen right?

And pretty much as expected, "the main man" handed my ass to me in all the bouts we've had...

I think at one point when he hit my head area, I was sorta stunned for a few seconds, and G the instructor remarked (he's a fellow who is pretty quick with remarks)... "I think I saw a "tweet" go around the head...." (he was refering here to the common "birds around the concussed guy's head" imagery)

Well, I think CH was pretty nice... and tried to "help" me out... but you know, ol' two-left-feet and two-left-hands.... dunno what to do in this kinda situation. I think I was so unprepared for this that I didn't know how to react. Or rather, I was thinking too much and reacting too little.

Oddly enough, despite a lot of very very embarrassing moments, (including a fall where I twisted my ankle.... I massaged and applied some oils, but it still catches a little...) I found myself grinning under my mask.

I mean, I must either be a masochist or otherwise crazy. 'Cos I think I'll be back at the class again......:O

The way I figure, I'm kinda glad that I have the skin of an elephant and don't have to suffer from the whole masculine pride thing in this lifetime. Otherwise my head will be in the sand right now.

I really wonder what F will make of all of this. :P

No comments: