Thursday, March 17, 2011

How Did Knights Get On Their Horses?

Despite my own grouses about the whole swordfighting thing... well... videos like this kinda remind me of why I like medieval history in general and why I decided that doing the whole armour-wearing-swordfighting thing isn't all that crazy....

This video answers the eternal question: "How did knights get onto horses in their heavy armour?"

Oh yeah, it also proves what I've always believed... our ancestors are smart people :)

So watch this if you have time for an educational lecture... or just watch for fun... whatever it is... you will never look at men in armour the same way... frankly when I saw that academic in made-to-measure armour.. he reminded me a bit of a sleek version of Iron Man....




A small update... someone asked me if it is really possible for a guy in full plate to do somersaults... because there was some medieval knight who was famous for doing it... and the guy in the MET lecture does mention it... 

Well... I actually found a modern guy who does it... proof that the medieval tale is probably true.... 

The following video is evidence of that fact...


No comments: