
Went back to work today after the long Christmas break. Things really sucked on the first day of the working year. No one was in the working mood and well, it was really hard to get my instructions understood. Was in the office talking to some of the other team leads, one of them told me a pretty depressing story of how one of the team leads lost two members of his team to suicide in one project cycle (usually a few weeks). He never saw it coming...
"I mean, how could he know..." she was saying. "We can't read minds..."
A very sobering thought. But he could not have known. It's strange, but its always the people who need help the most who say nothing about their situation. There was this lady in my teams once who certainly was a loner and said nothing to the others. However, it was clear that she had a definite problem. At first, I thought it was a case of some kind of anti-social behaviour or shyness.
As it turned out, through a rather convoluted series of events, I found out that she had a potentially life-threatening physical conditioning. I mean, I understand that there are those who desire privacy above all, and those who want to be regarded the same as everyone else, but surely something like this should be voiced out. I mean, if she had fainted while we were on the job, I wouldn't know what to do, except call for an ambulance.
The preceeding weekend was crappy too. Had a bout of tummy trouble on Sunday that felt like hell and which is caused in part by some kind of very hard mini rice-flour creations I had on Saturday at an experimental cooking party and the fact that on Sunday, I didn't have breakfast and a heavy lunch.:P It was like stomache flu and food poisoning rolled into one. I had a fever and chills most of the night. Couldn't do anything much except lie around and grouch.
Lately too I've had some very strange dreams. I tend to forget most dreams because they are usually not very vivid and pretty mundane. Stuff like running around in Singapore and seeing everyday people down at the commercial district. Recently however in the early morning hours, I've been having dreams about unquiet spirits, strange alien-looking body parts and some organ that looked like it had been preserved too long in formaldehyde or had been sitting in a rotting corpse too long. It was certainly some reproductive organ but it er..... did not look human. I got the feeling it was a female body for some reason.
Today I had another weird bunch of dreams. I dreamt I was in a place that looked Arabic in design and some lady with a large family was at the hotel counter trying to order breakfast for all of them.... presumably to have in the room. Since there was no one around, I helped to take the order... she was a Singaporean Indian lady and wanted 3 different breakfasts.
1. Winter Melon (just the melon, nothing else... yucks)
2. Ampala with curry (I don't know what Ampala was, but apparently she meant some kinda dough bread. I checked it on google. Ampala is either a place in Honduras... :P or some mango-like fruit they use in a drink that is popular now in Penang, Malaysia.)
3. Porridge (I think it was the Chinese kind. Not congee, but more Teochew style where you can see the grains of rice)
Well... i gave the order to the hotel staff, but they thought I had interfered and screwed up the order so they called the lady's mobile for confirmation. :(
I wonder what all of these dreams mean. I don't think I have ever been anywhere like in the dreams, and certainly that whole Ampala thing was new to me.


No comments:
Post a Comment