Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Remember That They Are Children...


Being in the thirty-something range often means that I get to see my contemporaries having kids of their own. I have a number of friends now who are young parents. I guess when you are a parent, everything in the world changes. Most normal people suddenly get this sense of responsibility and then their entire world revolves around their child.

I recently got to see a friend who had a newborn child. She is such a sweet little thing, but with a very aggressive personality. I really wonder how my friend is going to take it when that little toddler of hers grows to be a teenager... :P While talking and catching up (because we haven't seen each other in years) my friend made a remark that I found rather poignant.

"You know, they are born... already with their own personality," she was watching her own feisty child in a contemplative manner. "They say you can shape a child, nurture a character... but they already have their own personality."


It comes as no surprise to me that children which are born already have a personality. As a believer in reincarnation, I'd say that the personality that comes with a child is a product of eons of life as ... well, somebody. I think that it is possible to shape some aspects of a child's character, and teach him/her important life lessons, but really, some things are beyond the power of a parent to change. There are some patterns... call it the web of Fate or Karma that no amount of nurturing can disentangle...

I do not find it strange if a young person says he or she feels "old before their time" or "was born old". I do think there are those who are... for a lack of a better term "old souls", and their personality seems to show it. And if there are those who are old souls, well, there are also those who are young souls as well, who perhaps have few incarnations as humans or are even experiencing their very first one. It does show in their personality and their nature. I sometimes think that there are those who are created who seem to have an eternally childlike nature. I had thought that with multiple incarnations, eventually the child will "mature into adulthood" so to speak, but it seems that for some, that is not the case.

For some time now, I have been looking into groups of individuals, to see how various incarnations affect what they do and what they become. It seems to me there are some who, despite multiple incarnations, remain childlike. Unfortunately, because of this, responsibility, accountability and stability are not traits that are strong in them. I sometimes wonder why the creator chose for some to be in this state. Perhaps I do not see the complete picture since I am at this level of evolution. But I do not understand why they were created this way.

Unfortunately, (as a friend puts it) I have "chosen" to surround myself with many of these individuals. I have to say that although I can appreciate their endless curiosity and fun-seeking nature, I am sometimes disappointed... very much so... by their lack of understanding... and curiously enough... empathy...

I think to most of them I am a pretty dull individual. Almost like a parent. And therefore not really fun to be around most of the time. There are some who even ask me if it is necessary to think this hard... heh... Also, as I change and grow, I find that my priorities are shifting and I find myself becoming sterner in terms of character. I have tried expressing how I feel, but I doubt that they could truly understand the things that cause me concern.

At the end of the day, I have only this phrase with which to remind myself... "Remember that they are children..."

Problem is, physical appearances are always deceiving.

PS: I know the post is only published today, but I began writing this in December, forgot about it and came back to it. Problem is, this blog program seems to want to backdate my post.

No comments: