Actually my arms only feel like dropping off on Monday... why? Well quite simply, I'm spending a few hours on Sunday learning how to do what the two guys in the following video are doing...
Actually, come to think of it, what I'm trying to learn is probably less of the above and more like what is seen below....
However, because I'm currently starting to learn this whole swordplay thing, its pretty boring stuff to look at.
Does this "boring" country have people who teach this stuff? Apparently the answer is "yes". Is it fun? Well, I kinda feel it is. So when can I expect to be able to do what the guys in the video are doing? Well, probably in a couple of .... years... well... yup..... hopefully....
So why this and not standard fencing.... or kendo????
1. No offense to the guys who are doing foil fencing, but it DOES look like poking people with a wire.
2. Someone I highly dislike is doing foil fencing in this country and I might bump into him.
3. I've never really developed a fascination for the whole samurai-katana-bushido thing. (I've a very enthusiastic friend who is into kendo, and actually he's invited me to the competition in October... and who knows, I might become fascinated.. but I doubt so.. and no I don't think I'll ever mention my current interest to SD - my kendo friend... he is VERY ENTHUSIASTIC and might challenge me to a duel... I mean, its enough just to spar with him verbally but seriously, I don't wanna get into the ring with him... the man is very competitive and he's lost to me in most of our verbal bouts....:P AND he is big on winning.....:P)
I actually got to know about medieval swordplay more than 15 years ago from a friend who studied in Australia and who was into the whole historical-medieval reenactment thing... (except that she wanted to be a princess/lady-in-waiting and I didn't) I just never knew that there were any schools here in Singapore until recent years...
F just thinks its dangerous, but she finds it pretty hilarious that I decided to get into this.... but as she would say, "It's not unexpected.... "
Wolfy did mention it to me before... "There are many paths to enlightenment and some paths don't require people to sit down for sustained periods of time to "OM"... "
And no, despite having OM-ed for hours in the past few years, I'm not a natural and I think I would probably go insane if I did go to a silent meditation retreat for 2 weeks. My butt would start shifting in about half a day or I would spend most of the 2 weeks sleeping.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment